Lovage is an herb that belongs to the family Apiaceae.
Overview of Lovage
• Lovage leaves have a strong but sweet flavor.
• It is a reminiscent of celery.
• It grows as a hardy and frost resistant perennial herb.
• It tolerates most soil types.
• The soil should drain well.
• It flowers in late summer.
• It bears umbel of small yellow flowers on tall stalks.
• Both the leaves and stalks of lovage plants have culinary uses.
• These stalks require blanching first or they are stringy and unpalatable.
• The leaves are used both raw and cooked.
• It is a native to much of Europe and southwestern Asia.
Its leaves are used as:
• The roots as a vegetable
• The seeds as a spice
Characteristics of Lovage
• Lovage is an erect, herbaceous and a perennial plant.
• It can grow up to a height of 1.8–2.5 m.
• It has a basal rosette of leaves and stems.
• The stems and leaves are shiny glabrous green to yellow-green.
• The larger basal leaves are up to 70 cm long.
• The flowers are yellow to greenish-yellow in color.
• They are 2–3 mm in diameter.
• The fruit is a dry two-parted schizocarp 4–7 mm long.
• They mature in autumn.
The leaves can be used:
• in salads
• make soup
Scientific Classification of Lovage
• Kingdom: Plantae
• (unranked): Angiosperms
• (unranked): Eudicots
• (unranked): Asterids
• Order: Apiales
• Family: Apiaceae
• Genus: Levisticum
• Species: L. officinale
Growing/Caring conditions for Lovage
• The plants are raised from seed.
• They are sown in a hot bed.
• They can be sown even in the open garden according to the season of the year.
• Sow it around early February.
• Allow the seed to germinate.
• Let it so in a moist and warm medium.
• Once it develops into a strong seedling, transplant.
• Germination takes about 10 to 12 weeks.
• One or two thinning can be done.
• They can be transplanted once germination occurs.
• Once they attain a height of 15–20 cm, they can be planted out in deep trenches.
• This is done for convenience of blanching.
• This plant needs a lot of moisture to grow and flourish.
• It needs well-drained soil.
• It requires a soil that is rich with mineral content.
• This plant is not an easy plant to grow.
• Proper maintenance and car is essential for it to flourish.