Etlingera Fulgens is a species that belongs to the Zingiberaceae family. This is an herbaceous perennial plant.
Botanical synonyms include:
– Hornstedtia fulgens
– Nicolaia fulgens
– Phaeomeria fulgens
• These species occurs in southern Thailand and peninsular Malaysia.
• The plant has bright red flowers.
• The leaves are young.
• This plant is famous for being an ornamental plant.
• They are used in landscape gardens.
• Etlingera fulgens is very recognizable.
• This is because of its shiny undulate leaves.
• They are dark green in color.
• The leaves are bright red underside when they are young.
• They turn green as they grow mature.
• The older leaves have the petiole and midrib as red.
• These petioles are 1.5 to 2 cm in length.
• Rhizomes of this plant are about 3 cm in diameter.
• They are usually below the ground.
• The plant can grow up to a height of 4 – 5 meters.
• Crushed leaf sheaths have a pleasant sour fragrance.
• Leaves have stronger ferrous ion.
• Chlorogenic acid found in leaves.
• Fruit and rhizome oils of this plant are mainly aliphatic hydrocarbons.
• They have cyclododecane, dodecanol and cyclotetradecane.
Oils of Etlingera Fulgens consist mainly of
– dodecyl acetate (21.6%)
– an ester
– pentadecanol (14.1%)
– hexadecanol (3.60%)
– both long-chain alcohols
Scientific classification of Etlingera Fulgens
• Kingdom: Plantae
• (unranked): Angiosperms
• (unranked): Monocots
• (unranked): Commelinids
• Order: Zingiberales
• Family: Zingiberaceae
• Genus: Etlingera
• Species: E. fulgens
Growing Conditions for of Etlingera Fulgens
• Plant this ginger plant in spring after the danger of frost is passed.
• The plants should be 30cm apart and plant spacing between should be 15-23 cm.
• The plant can be propagated with small rhizome buds, tubers, corms or bulbs.
• The rhizomes are tender when young that is when the skin is brown rather than white.
• Do not harvest the whole clump but only one or two buds.
• This plant needs hard, clayey and dense soil.
• The plant needs indirect light or filtered sun.
• Water the plant everyday.
• Keep the soil moist.
• The minimum temperature for ideal growth is about 68 F.
• The hardiness zone that the plant needs is 9.
• A balanced water soluble fertilizer after flowering is preferred for this plant.
• No serious insect or disease affects the plant.
• Rich, fertile, organic soil is preferred for good growth of plant.
• Avoid sogginess of soil but maintain the soil moist.
• Pruning can be done to avoid over sizing of plant.