Overview of Epilobium Torreyi
• Epilobium Torreyi is a species of flowering plant.
• It is known by the common names:
– Torrey’s Willowherb
– Brook Spike-primrose
• It is native to western North America from British Columbia to California.
• Her,e it grows in many types of habitat.
• It is a hairy annual herb.
• It produces a narrow and upright stem.
• It grows up to a height of more than half a meter.
• It is lined with narrow lance-shaped leaves.
• The hairy and glandular inflorescence bears tiny flowers that are white or pink in color.
• The fruit is a capsule up to about a centimeter long.
Scientific classification of Epilobium Torreyi
– Kingdom : Plantae
– Division : Magnoliophyta
– Class : Magnoliopsida
– Order : Myrtales
– Family : Onagraceae
– Genus : Epilobium
– Species : E. torreyi
Uses of Epilobium Torreyi
• Jellies ice cream
• Other treats
– Its young leaves, roots and shoots are edible.
– They are rich in pro-vitamin A and vitamin C.
– It is applied to wounds.
– It has anti-inflammatory properties.
Growing conditions for Epilobium
• Place the seeds in a plastic food storage bag.
• This should be done in late summer.
• Seal the bag tightly.
• Insert the bag into a refrigerator.
• Maintain a temperature of 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
• Leave it there for 40 days.
• Look for a planting site.
• The site should get full to partial sunlight.
• The plant needs moist to slightly soggy soil.
• The sites near bodies of water are more suitable for this plant. They are like:
– Drainage ditches
– A canopy of trees
• Pull up all weeds.
• Remove other vegetation in the area.
• Spread an all-purpose fertilizer over the soil.
• Spread the amount specified on the fertilizer label.
• Mix the fertilizer into the top 5 to 6 inches of the soil.
• Use a pitchfork or a shovel.
• Smooth the top of the soil out evenly.
• Do not pack it down.
• Spread the seeds onto the surface of the ground.
• Space them at three-foot distance.
• As the plants grow, they will form dense clumps.
• They fill in the bare spaces.
• Cover the seeds with an additional 1/4 to 1/2 inch of soil.
• Water the soil on drying.
• This plant rarely requires additional water.
• The seeds will germinate about 10 days after planting.