Kaempferia Rotunda is a spicy plant and belongs to ginger family.
Overview of Kaempferia Rotunda
• It has many medicinal uses in Ayurvedic and allopathic medicinal systems.
• It has common names as below:
– Bhumi champa
– Indian crocus
– Peacock ginger
– Round-rooted galangale
• Kaempferia rotunda is found in various parts of India.
• It is also found in the adjoining regions.
• It is grown and reared in small herbal nurseries.
• It is grown for applications in medicine preparation.
• Its name comes from Sanskrit name ‘bhoomi champa’ which means bloom from within earth.
• The name comes from the indigo colored flower shoots.
• They are right from within the soil.
• The flower emerges much in advance. It flowers even before the whitish leafy shoot.
• Both of them are not seen at the same time.
• The flower contains the toxin benzyl benzoate.
• This constituent is the one due to which it is used in making ointments that treat scabies.
• This plant is boiled and its oil is used to treat itch.
• It has potential antioxidant effects.
Growing conditions for Kaempferia Galangal
• Grow Zone: 8
• Light Conditions: Full Shade,Partial Sun/Shade
• Water Requirements: Consistent moist soil
• PH Level: 6-7.5
• Minimum Height: 6 inches
• Maximum Height: 8 inches
• Growth Habit: Moderate
• Bloom Period: Late Spring- Early Fall
• Bloom Color: Light to medium blue
• Fragrant: No
• Best Grown In: Container, Bedding Plant
• Scientific Name: Kaempferia Rotunda
• Class: Liliopsida
• Family: Zingiberaceae
• Genus: Kaempferia
• Species: Galanga
• Cultivar: Galanga
• Salt Tolerance: Moderate
• Plant Galangal in spring after the danger of frost is passed.
• The plants should be 30cm apart and plant spacing between should be 15-23 cm.
• The plant can be propagated with small rhizome buds, tubers, corms or bulbs.
• The rhizomes are tender when young that is when the skin is brown rather than white.
• Do not harvest the whole clump but only one or two buds.
• This plant needs hard, clayey and dense soil.
• The plant needs indirect light or filtered sun.
• Water the plant everyday.
• Keep the soil moist.
• The minimum temperature for ideal growth is about 68 F.
• The hardiness zone that the plant needs is 9.
• A balanced water soluble fertilizer after flowering is preferred for this plant.
• No serious insect or disease affects the plant.
• Rich, fertile, organic soil is preferred for good growth of plant.
• Avoid sogginess of soil but maintain the soil moist.
• Pruning can be done to avoid over sizing of plant.