Leucophyllum minus which is also known as Big Bend Silver leaf, Lesser Texas
Silver leaf or Little leaf Rain Sage is native to US and belong to Scrophulariaceae that is Figwort Family. It is a semi evergreen perennial shrub that can grow up to 3 feet and wide about 3 feet. It is very attractive because of its silvery foliage. The shrub bears deep purple flowers. They bloom in the summer and fall. The leaves are tiny and have hairs of silver color on them. They are native to lands that are rocky limestone flats, slopes and mountains in the Trans Pecos and into Mexico and New Mexico. Full sun and extremely well-drained, alkaline soil are the requirements of this shrub. The soil should be of hardiness of USDA of 8.
The shrub has extensive root system. This shrub can be supplied with a general purpose fertilizer. This shrub is attractive to bees, butterflies and/or birds.
Growing conditions for Leucophyllum minus:
- Sow the seeds in autumn.
- This plant needs full sun and so select such a location.
- The shrub grows with hardiness of USDA 8 and with a temp of to 18°F.
- This herb needs well drained soil.
- Add sandy compost in a greenhouse and sow the seeds.
- The seeds emerge seedlings and this is when prick the seedlings and transplant them in pots.
- Transplant them in late spring or early summer.
- Plants can be divided in early spring.
- Grow the plants in light shade until they root well.
- Plant them outside in summer.
- If cuttings are taken, plant in summer.
- Water this plant on alternate days for a week.
- This plant likes dry conditions.
- Pinch off the top of the stem to ensure new growth after 4 weeks.
Care for Leucophyllum candidum
- This perennial herb needs gritty well-drained soil.
- The perennial needs sunny position.
- It tolerates dry soils.
- Do not disturb the root once the plants are established.
- Fertilize this wormwood using liquid or general fertilizer every spring.
- Mulch the plant around to about 2-3 inches.
- Prune the shrub periodically for encouraging new growth.
- Add compost while planting.
- This plant needs about an hour of sunshine minimum daily.
- Prune the old leaves in the fall season.