These species have deep green foliage and bright, deep pink flowers. This flower is 2 to 3 ft tall. They are clusters of turtle head shaped flowers. Red stems that persist most of the season. Bronze green early season growth is another distinctive feature. These are most effective when planted in gropings. It spreads in the upright manner. For an effective composition, these flowers can be accompanied with finer or coarser plants. These plants spread up to 3 ft.The growth rate is medium.
Hot Lips can be used for landscape applications such as General Garden Use, Mass Planting, Naturalizing And Woodland Gardens
This perennial blooms in August-September. This flower attracts butterflies. This flower is resistant to deers.
Growing Conditions for Chelone lyonii ‘Hot Lips’
– Hot Lips grow best in full shade or partial shade.
– It prefers moist to wet soil.
– It can handle standing water to some extent.
– Soil pH is not necessary.
– Grows good in rich soils.
– Deep mulch of rotted leaves and judicious watering will keep the soil from drying out during midsummer droughts and provide all the nutrients the plants need.
Care for Chelone lyonii ‘Hot Lips’
– It should be watered regularly during the first growing season to establish a deep, extensive root system.
– Remove old foliage.
– Divide clumps every 2 to 3 years in early spring.