– Chrysanthemums are just about the easiest of all of the perennials to grow.
– Chrysanthemums belong to the Asteraceae (Compositae) family.
– Chrysanthemums are well suited for container gardening in patios.
– Chrysanthemum flavored tea is very popular and is used as a relaxant.
– The Chrysanthemum flower symbolizes fidelity, optimism, joy and long life.
– Chrysanthemums come in a wide variety of colors, including white, off-white, yellow, gold, bronze, red, burgundy, pink, lavender and purple.
– They grow up to 2-3 feet high.
– They grow in planting zones 3-9.
– They prefer full sun and well drained soil.
– Do not plant chrysanthemum flowers near street lights or night lights.
– They can also be propagated by dividing and separating them.
– They need plenty of air circulation, water drainage, and morning sun to dry the dew on the leaves and stems.
– Chrysanthemums are pretty tough and can thrive on their own, but they benefit from light and frequent feeding with a balanced fertilizer during the growing season.
– Low rainfall area is preferred.
– Chrysanthemums should be planted in the early spring.
– Dig a hole at least twice the size of the root ball, and incorporate organic matter.
– Plant the mums at exactly the same depth they were in the pot – avoid water collection around the stems.
– Space plants 18-24 inches apart.
– When plants are six inches tall, pinch off the tips to encourage bushiness and more blooms.
– Chrysanthemums can be propagated from seeds, cuttings, or plant division.
– The chrysanthemums plants flower after three months of sowing.
Types of Chrysanthemum Flowers
The nine categories of chrysanthemums as per this classification are Incurved, Reflexed, Intermediate, Late Flowering Anemones, Singles, Pompons, Sprays, Spiders/Spoons/Quills, Charms and Cascades.
Care for Chrysanthemum Flowers
– Fertilize chrysanthemums once per month through July.
– Chrysanthemums profit from winter protection.
Uses for Chrysanthemum Flowers
– Chrysanthemum flowers are used to make “chrysanthemum tea,” used in folk medicine for influenza patients.
– Chrysanthemum flowers are also a favorite of florists for arrangements.